There are various paint supplies that an artist uses and will depend on the amount or the type of art work done. These supplies are provided with different prices and are available in various qualities.
The basic painting supplies include the following:
- Easels – The easel is used to keep a painting canvas in place while the artist is working on it. This reduces the risk of spilling any paint on it. The use of easel allows a painter to look or step back to see how the work is progressing.
- Brushes – Brushes are vital painting supplies provided in various shapes and sizes. Paint brushes perform one of the most important tasks because they are the primary tool in the painting process. They are used in application of paints and are made by clamping bristles to a handle by the use of a ferrule.
- Palettes – Palettes are painting supplies made from wood, ceramic or other hard, non-porous materials. They are provided in various shapes and sizes. Most painters prefer small sized palette so that they can hold it well on their arms while painting.
- Paints –Along with paint brushes, paints are also important painting supplies provided in various types. Watercolors are water based colors. Acrylic paints are also water-based paints that have a shorter drying time compared to oil paints. Other paint variants include airbrush paint, primers and undercoat.
Shopping Tips for Starters
Painting is a relaxing activity to undertake; however, to be able to do such activity, it is important to have the following tips while shopping paint supplies. These tips are necessary for first time buyers who may not have had an experience in buying painting supplies.
- Choose an easel with the right height and it should be strong and durable.
- Buy brushes made of animal hair and not made of artificial hair. Animal brushes handle paint better.
- It is advisable to purchase disposable palettes, one for putting the paints and another for mixing the colors.
- Other painting supplies required are paint thinner and mineral spirits. They should not have a very strong smell or a weak one as they are not good for painting.
- When buying paints, select the type that fits the work or the material to be painted because they are provided in various colors and forms.
- It is advisable to prepare your own canvas board to save cost. However, there are various stores and shops dealing with painting supplies that provide canvases at cheaper prices.
These are just a few shopping tips that can help a lot in selecting the appropriate and needed painting supplies. Paint with passion with the right painting supplies.